Monday, June 11, 2012

Berkeley Hills


It was Friday afternoon June 8, 2012 I went for a walk around the Berkeley hills with Jonathan. The sun shined brightly but the cold wind blew strongly which made me so cold under the sunshine. The path that we passed was very beautiful surrounded by flowery shrubs spreading fragrant smell along the walk.

We stopped in a few spots to enjoy the view of the Golden Gate Bridge in the distant. It was built 75 years ago, but the bridge still looked very strong and elegant as the landmark of California.

I saw many housesalong our walk ; small, big and medium size. What surprised me most was I did not see any human around the house. They were all empty, however I saw some chickens which reminded me of my house in Bali. We also saw a mother deer and her two youngsters. Jonathan said that the mother deer can attack us to protect her youngsters. I was kind of scared after Jonathan told me about that.


On the way down the hill, I heard some voices but did not see anyone. I also smelled something strange, which Jonathan said that it was the smell of weeds (MJ). Going down hill, finally a man passing by with his two big dogs. As usual, we just greeted the dogs. 


My question is.....where were/are all the people of those houses? In Bali, our house is never empty, there is always someone or more people staying in our house. Therefore, seeing big houses without any person made me think, "there are many homeless people in one side and there are so many big houses in the other side". 


If you guys read this note, please feel free to fix my poor English. It will be highly appreciated by me. Thanks a ton.

7 comments:

  1. Oh well...this is just one of those things that I do not understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just going to do a test here, to see if I can post a comment. Wishmilak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tmhunter thanks for the test comment. wishing you the best luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to see this blog--and your SIT Study Abroad FB site. Just a few comments from your grammarian hubby:

    a man passing by > a man passed way

    in one side... in the other side > on the one hand... on the other hand ("side" is okay here, but "hand" is more typical; also you can skip "hand" in the second case

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. Bu Ari, keep on writing. I will follow your story but i don't think I am going to give you any comment about grammar as I am also struggling with it ^,^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gek Mirah, thanks for reading it. I will write more tomorrow, my time. That's okay, you do not need to give me any comments on grammar or spelling, we have some linguists who will do those parts...^-^

    ReplyDelete